I can't even count how many times this summer I thought to myself, "What a great summer!" We all had a happy, fun, wonderful time together and enjoyed several of these perfect summer days.
We played and learned every day. Here are some of our favorites:
Fourth of July Fun - crafts and activities for one of my favorite holidays
Markers, water, and paper towels - a cool science experiment / art project
Walks, walks, and more walks starting with this one and including this one.
I Spy Book - a fun photo activity we turned into a game
Playing with muffin tins
The labyrinth is still a fun place for us to go, too.
We played outside every day and did cool things like this.
I was able to sew a lot:
I made a quiet book and sewed Little Lady some clothes.
Food is always an important piece of summertime:
I love our summer grillin' and Morning glory muffins bring all sorts of glory to our morning.
I couldn't blog about all the fun things that happened. We had many visits from Nani and Papi, plus visits from dear friends who came from near and far. Our house isn't ideal for welcoming guests but we do love to have people here! We went to the pool several times a week, and only missed a couple library story hours. The kids got really ill and that was by far the down point of an otherwise fantabulous summer. We went on walks, played on playgrounds, and enjoyed time in our backyard before the 114 degree temps hit. Mini Me went to Vacation Bible School for the first time... and we hope next year goes a smidge better... He also walked in a parade for the first time and ran in a big race. Both of those events involved a lot of loud people on a hot day and did not bring out the sweetest, most fun loving side of Mini Me so we also hope his second experiences go better. Little Lady learned to walk, climb, blow kisses, say dada, dance and spin, and do a zillion other new things. We picnicked, had play dates, and made new friends. We had a little tiny mini vacation at an indoor water park with cousins that was delightful for all. See? What a great summer!
I had some goals for myself this great summer. Let's see how I did:
1. I will not huff and puff for our entire walk as I push approximately 70 pounds of stroller, preschooler, and baby. I will only huff and puff the last half because... it's 70 pounds and there are hills!
I say goal accomplished: Mini Me started to prefer walking on his own feet, leaving me to push only one child in the single stroller most of the time! Thanks, little buddy, for helping me reach my goal.
2. I will try to shine my sink more often.
3. I will stop being weepy that my firstborn is already three and has been for over a month now.
I did actually get over that. Then Little Lady turned one and the weepy kinda came back.
4. I will let Little Lady be Little Daredevil she is as she learns to walk, instead of holding my breath and steering her away from small dangers.
She climbs onto and into everything now and, well, sometimes I let her.
5. I will have more dance parties, do more obstacle courses, and play more hide and seek with the kiddos.
Yes on the dance parties and obstacle courses! I always forget about playing hide and seek.
6. I will make sure the kids and I get outside every day that it is not raining, even if it's only to walk to the end of the driveway and back.
I think we were outside six of seven days a week, and even when it was boiling hot, we would walk on the patio for a few minutes. Goal accomplished!
7. I will stop eating 24 ounces of frozen chocolate chips a week. I will knock it down to 12 ounces.
*hang my head in shame...*
8. I will speak more Spanish at home and then I will brag to my students that I did it and therefore they should, too.
Uhhh, no. Mini Me still cries when I try to speak Spanish. We had one short, beautiful time when he liked it, though.
9. I will be more patient with ... everything.
I'm trying, I'm still trying!
It's a blessing that, even though summer is over, I can continue being home with the kids most of the time thanks to my super part-time job. I'll miss trips to the pool and all the time outside but if this fall proves to be as awesome as our summer, I'm excited already!
Linked at Learning Laboratory.
50% off Select Fisher Price Toys (Today Only–6/18)
14 hours ago